Brenzett Church

Brenzett

In 1381 Brenzett was the rallying place for the followers of Wat Tyler .
During the reign of Henry VIII the Manor of Brenzett belonged to Thomas Cromwell . In 1541 it passed into the hands of of the King, and stayed with the crown until 1555, when Queen Mary granted it to Lord Saye . Later the manor was held by several East Kent families, however no trace remains of this manor now, and even its site is unknown.

The church here is set back from the road, and surrounded by trees - an unusual feature for Romney Marsh. It is a small church, dedicated to St Eanswith, a Saxon princess, granddaughter of Ethelbert the first Christian King of Kent, who founded a nunnery at Folkestone . She served her noviciate in Normandy, and became the founder and Abbess of the nunnery of Peter and Paul, which was built in 630.

Services

There are temporarily no services at this Church. However there will be a service on Easter Day at 9 am


Printer Printable Version